Monday, May 23, 2011

SNICKERDOODLE COOKIES


SNICKERDOODLE COOKIES

In true sneakerdoodle fashion I had to have a snickerdoodle cookie recipe! Too be honest I don't think I've even ever made snickerdoodles before. I've always just got store bought ones. I found this recipe by searching google and picking the one with the most reviews. I was skeptical because I'm not the best cookie maker. Homemade cookies besides the peanut butter chocolate chip kind haven't really turned out for me. Plus I realized I was 1 1/4 cup short of all purpose flour and had to use self rising. I knew I was setting myself up for disaster. Contrary to my thoughts the cookie dough turned out so light and airy and perfect! I nixed the salt since I used self rising flour and it tasted great! I rolled them in the cinnamon sugar mixture thinking these are gonna stick to the pan and burn! I baked them for about 10 minutes which left them borderline gooey in the center. The next batch I baked for 12 minutes and they were perfect. Lightly crunchy on the outer corners and chewy in the middle. They looked so yummy as well. I would think this would be an amazing sugar cookie recipe as well. Definitely great to try out! (remember to make sure and have cream of tarter on hand or your cookies won't have the pretty cracks on top, they'll be smooth) Also when baking cookies I use a well seasoned baking stone and let it cool between batches. It only bakes 10 or so at a time but well worth it because they bake evenly. *update I have been baking these at 350 for 16 minutes on large Walton baking sheet and parchment paper.


Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda OR 4 tap baking powder (either works well)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.
Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets.

HELPFUL TIPS FROM ALL RECIPES REVIEWERS: Bake for 8 min exactly! ...and you can even wait a few min. for it to cool on the cookie sheet just get it out of the oven! Either way, the critics (my family & friends) RAVED about these yummies, and I've never left w/o someone asking for the recipe! 1st: Use butter AND eggs that are room temp. I've used all butter w/excellent results. 2nd: Mix dry & wet separately. 3rd: Hand mix or you'll get a different result. Do not overmix. I never have cream of tartar, so I use 2 tsp. of white vinegar OR lemon juice. Lastly, I used a medium scoop. For the topping, I used 3T. sugar & 3.5 tsp. of cinnamon dumped in ziplock bag. Do not be afraid to over coat. It will NOT turn out too sweet (and I'm not a fan of sweets)!!!! Coat well. :) If your cookie turns out flat, I'd check to see if your baking soda has expired. To test, it should fizzle the second you place it in water. I've never had issues w/these turning out flat OR dough being sticky (which was really confusing to me to hear from others); just keeping them in our lock n lock container long enough before husband comes home. They store great, & I didn't have any of the problems many others did! I never need to put these in the refrigerator first either!

No comments:

Post a Comment