Saturday, February 25, 2012

POP TART BARS


POP TART BARS

I was mixing myself a flavored water with one of those little single serve flavoring packets last night. I tried out the "berry limeade" and ended up drinking 3 of them they were so good. I got to thinking, "I wonder what would happen if I mixed one of these drink mixes in the batter of lemon bars?!" All night that was all I could think about. I was convinced I had just came up with an AHHHA! recipe. I woke up and went to the grocery store to get powdered sugar and when I came back I whipped them up.

I didn't change anything in the recipe I just added the packet. The batter turned a gorgeous [berry] color. I baked them up, dusted them with powdered sugar and dug in. It was delicious!
My first thought was that it tasted like a pop tart! You know the red filled ones (they all taste similar). They are so much different than just a plain lemon bar. Definitely a new party treat that I'm sure everyone will love. Especially if you got different flavors like the blue raspberry, blue berry, strawberry, pink lemonade... it's endless!!! And the colors they would turn! Perfect for the coming summer! Go try it! You won't be sorry!


CRUST:
2 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup softened unsalted stick butter
1 cup confectioners' sugar

TOPPING:
2 cup sugar
4 eggs
4 tbs all-purpose flour
4 tbs lime juice or lemon juice
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 packet of single serve flavored drink mix in Hawaiian Punch Brand "Berry Limeade"
Confectioners' sugar

Combine crust ingredients and pat into an 9x 13x. baking pan. Bake at 375' for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, for topping, combine sugar, eggs, flour, lemon juice, baking powder, salt and flavor packet in a mixing bowl. Mix until frothy, pour over crust. Bake at 375' for 18-22 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 18 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment