Thursday, June 16, 2011

BAKING HINTS




To be honest I've never been the best baker. I've went through dozens of recipes that just didn't turn out. That's why when I find a good recipe or find out a trick I never knew, I wanted to have a blog to share and remember what worked. I'll be adding more as I remember or find. :)






TIPS FOR COOKIES:

Invest in a baking stone! I've had mine for years and only use it to bake cookies or sweet things. Keep it seasoned well and it'll be your best tool for evenly baked cookies.

Cream of Tarter: It makes the pretty cracks on top of cookies like snickerdoodles. Otherwise you get perfectly smooth cookies.

SUBSTITUTES: You can substitute self rising flour for all purpose flour in cookies. Just don't add ANY salt and use unsalted butter. If you don't want extra puffy cookies also nix baking soda/powder if the recipe calls for it.
Use real unsalted stick butter when baking cookies. No tub margarine! It won't work!





If making several batches of cookies always cool pan in between and cut cooking time down by 1-2 minutes after the first batch since they will cook faster on a warm pan.

If you have left over dough and want to save roll the dough into a log and wrap in saren wrap. Place in refrigerator and use within 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment