Monday, April 13, 2015

Homemade Old Fashioned Vanilla Stovetop Pudding

My mom and I love vanilla pudding. She used to make it from scratch a couple times a year and I always thought it was special. Over the years I got hooked on it and made it all the time. Lately however I got out of the habit and forgot some steps.
My pudding was turning out lumpy or too thick or too thin. I couldn't figure out what I had missed.
I then spent time scouring the internet for a recipe that was the same as my moms.
This one featured on Taste of Home was it. Only a few minor differences from the one I had been making all these years. I had also figured out the step I had missed that made all the difference in a GOOD 'made from scratch' pudding. You must mix the cornstarch, eggs, and 1/2 cup milk together and later temper and pour into the boiling milk. I had made the mistake of bringing all the milk to a boil with the cornstarch and later tempering just the eggs in. The milk being so hot at that point even tempering the eggs didn't help and I still ended up with lumps of scrambled eggs in my pudding. Not appetizing to say the least.
Following the directions to a T is the key for this pudding to turn out. Also not turning your back on the boiling milk. Even though it may feel like it will NEVER boil. It will and it will overflow all over your stove in a matter of seconds. Not that I would know... :P

Homemade Old Fashioned Vanilla Stovetop Pudding


  • Pinch salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract



  • Place 2 cups milk and salt in a saucepan. Sprinkle sugar on milk and do not stir; heat over medium-high. Quickly combine cornstarch with remaining milk; add egg yolks and mix well. When milk comes to a full boil, remove saucepan from the heat and stir in cornstarch mixture. Pudding will begin to thicken. Return to the heat and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and butter. Pour into individual dishes. Serve warm. Yield: 4 servings.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment